The Small Claims Court to Collect Past Due Rent and Damages to Your Property by a Tenant

HNWReal Estate, Landlord/Tenant, and Zoning

property damageWhen a tenant stiffs you for unpaid rent or fails to pay for damages done to your property, many landlords are unfamiliar with the Small Claims Court of the Special Civil Part of NJ Superior Court.  By filing in Special Civil Court, a landlord can sue for up to $15,000 in damages, but no more.  Unfortunately, counsel fees (in any context I have found) counts against the $15,000 limit.  New Jersey’s Special Civil Court is quick, cheap, and appropriate for small landlords with claims under $15,000 against a former tenant.

To discuss your NJ landlord tenant matter, please contact Fredrick P. Niemann, Esq. toll-free at (855) 376-5291 or email him at  Please ask us about our video conferencing or telephone consultations if you are unable to come to our office.

By Fredrick P. Niemann, Esq. of Hanlon Niemann & Wright, a Freehold Township, Monmouth County, NJ Landlord Tenant Attorney

Previous PostNext Post