Should New Jersey’s Department of Motor Vehicles Be Alerted to An Aging Parent’s Unsafe Driving?

HNWElder Care Law, Elder Law

elderly driverMany clients want to avoid going to the DMV about their parent(s).  He or she may be mentally sharp, but their vision is deteriorating.  There are fresh dents on their car and he/she caused an accident just a few weeks ago.  They refuse to talk about their driving skills though, and neither will forgive themselves if he/she hurts someone else.  Is there a way to anonymously report their unsafe driving to the DMV?

I have had these discussions with many clients.  I have some clients who recognize that their driving skills are declining and voluntarily give up their car keys.  They are far and few in between though.  It’s emotionally tough to give up driving and touch getting around NJ without a car.

Before contacting the DMV, try talking to your parent again.  You can get tips on starting the conversation online.  Google “aging parents giving up driving”.

If talking doesn’t work and you truly believe that he or she is putting themselves and others in danger, you have no choice but to report his unsafe driving to the Department of Motor Vehicles.  You must supply your name with the report, but your identity will not be revealed to your father.  The DMV will then investigate the situation.  To report unsafe driving, visit the DMV website:

Life’s ending chapters are not easy to understand.  This blog topic is never easy for any family.

Contact me personally today to discuss your New Jersey elder care matter.  I am easy to talk to, very approachable and can offer you practical, legal ways to handle your concerns.  You can reach me toll free at (855) 376-5291 or e-mail me at

By Fredrick P. Niemann, Esq. of Hanlon Niemann & Wright, a Freehold Township, Monmouth County New Jersey Elder Care Attorney

Previous PostNext Post