News Alert – In China It’s Visit Your Parents — Or Get Sued By Mom & Dad

HNWElder Abuse and Financial Exploitation, Elder Law

By Fredrick P. Niemann, Esq. a New Jersey Elder Abuse Attorney

Can you believe this article I recently read?  China is cracking down on adult children who may be neglecting or possibly abusing their elderly parents.  Is this a possibility in the U.S.?

Do you like to visit your Mom and/or Dad?  In China, it’s now a law.

The Chinese national legislature now requires that adult children visit their parents often. Otherwise, elderly parents who feel ignored can sue their kids. Wow, that’s the kind of relationship I want to foster.

The law is partly a reflection of a cultural change in parts of the developing country. The traditional extended family in China is fading, according to the Associated Press. Historically in many Asian cultures, aging parents and grandparents live with a child or other family member. Sending a parent to a nursing home was just not acceptable — nor was it affordable for many families.

But that’s changing, particularly as China’s elderly population rapidly expands.

Lately, the Chinese government has seen a growing number of reports of elder abuse. State media carried the story of one son who reportedly forced his elderly mother to live in squalor for two years.

Elder-abuse cases in Hong Kong have risen 15% in the last two years, the South China Morning Post reported earlier this year. “Because of Chinese culture, elderly people are reluctant to reveal the disgraceful affairs of their families,” the director of one advocacy group, against elderly abuse, told the newspaper.

The new law doesn’t say how often children must visit their parents — and there may not be enough grounds here for any resulting lawsuit. But China now has nearly 167 million people over age 60. While the law is partially intended to sustain the family unity that may be starting to decline in China, it’s also an attempt to ensure that the oldest and weakest members of society are cared for.

What are your thoughts on forced parental visitation?  Let me know. Contact me personally today to discuss your New Jersey elder abuse matter.  I am easy to talk to, very approachable and can offer you practical, legal ways to handle your concerns.  You can reach me toll free at (855) 376-5291 or e-mail me at

Previous PostNext Post