If You Have Kids or Grandkids in College, Either Home or Away, Then Read This Post

HNWEstate Planning

Although they still rely on you heavily for support – both emotional and financial – the law considers young persons over the age of 18 to be legal adults.  Yet, like many adults of all ages, they likely have not considered what would happen to them if they had a medical crisis.  When that happens neither you nor they are protected under the law.

As an example, I had a client whose son was in his senior year of college. Prior to his senior year, he was a straight-A student, involved in extracurricular activities and planning for graduation.  But, just before the winter break, he had started drinking and using drugs, isolated himself from friends, rarely went to class, and adopted bizarre eating and dressing habits.  The challenge was determining if this was “normal” college kid behavior or something more serious.  In his case, it was more serious. He was diagnosed with bi-polar and paranoid schizophrenia.  His parents wanted to get him proper treatment.  He didn’t feel like he needed it.  The parents had no legal authority to force him to.  They had never thought of him signing a medical power of attorney.   Thus, they had to seek court assistance through the guardianship process, paying much more than a power of attorney would have been.  Moreover, they needed to move him out of his apartment and cut off his utilities, but didn’t have the legal authority to do so without a power of attorney.

Because so many of our clients are taking care of both parents and children (to include young adults), we understand the struggle.

We want to relieve some of the pain by offering a huge gift to you.  When you contact us within a week of this email to schedule a time to discuss powers of attorney and advanced directives for your children in college, we will quote you a rate that is half our regular rate.

We believe so strongly that parents of young adults should not have to stress over the costs of getting their children’s affairs in order and we also don’t want their parents to go through unnecessary court processes should something unexpected come up.   All the college courses and the price you pay will mean nothing if there remains a crisis and you can’t help them through it because legally they are adults.

To discuss your NJ Estate Planning matter, please contact Fredrick P. Niemann, Esq. toll-free at (855) 376-5291 or email him at fniemann@hnlawfirm.com.  Please ask us about our video conferencing consultations if you are unable to come to our office.

By Fredrick P. Niemann, Esq. of Hanlon Niemann & Wright,  a Freehold Township, Monmouth County, NJ Estate Planning Attorney

Previous PostNext Post